Tuesday, November 11, 2008

http://www.onedigitallife.com/images/nike_ad.jpg

I was shocked as much as you will probably be after seeing this ad. I dont think this ad is effective in any way but I thought it was very interesting to see Nike do something as edgey as this. This ad basiclly shows a man (i think his a track star) in a red background naked with his fist raised in the air. The only clothing he has on is a running shoe on what looks like his erect penis as well as a gold medal around his neck. I think this ad is trying to protray the dominance in society with males. Its weird because this ad completly goes against what Nike stands for which is equallity between male and female especailly in athletics.

2 comments:

naveen naqvi said...

I think this ad is supposed to make men feel powerful and masculine and suggests that Nike will help you feel that way. This ad also shows how overtly sexual our society is. It's strange because sometimes I feel like we're such a sexually oppressed society and we're so obsessed with censorship and then I see ads like this and I feel like maybe we're just crude and mistake being progressive with being overly sexual. I think this is true for our culture though because even in the past for example in the 20's and 30's when woman began to liberate themselves, women such as flappers started to lessen the amount of clothing they wore and saw it as being liberated. I agree that overcoming oppression should make you feel liberated and not being forced to cover up or dress in a conservative way should make women proud that they have free will but why is our culture so obsessed with equating liberty and sex?

michelle :] said...

LMAO wow. I think this ad is completely unnecessary. If it was just a picture, it'd be whatever, but using it as an ad? Personally, i don't want to buy any running shoes that have been on some guy's penis. I don't know many guys that would want to buy that either. Maybe this ad is trying to portray male dominance in society, but couldn't they have done it in a classier and more appropriate way?